New in 3.5
- Boundless grid with complete control over boundaries.
- Added support for Field3D file format.
- Changing the Effector's name will automatically update its name inside the FumeFX UI.
- Continue from cache in a bigger grid.
- Volume emission with Object Source.
- MXS command ffxSilent - no Message box will show up (like Stop/Continue, etc).
- Multiple Scattering for PreviewWindow
- Multiple Scattering option to cast and receive, so if you have a scene with many grids and want to avoid MS computation overhead, this should be handy.
- Ability to imprint various info to the Preview Window output.
- From the Obj/Src rollout, right click on object/src to select it in the viewport that will automatically enable PinUI option. Multi selection is also possible,
- Paths will show inside the Asset Manager
- Pin UI will keep the UI opened even if FumeFX is deselected. You can position lights and objects and GPU PW will update as well.
- Preview Window has a new menu option "Lock to Viewport", so you can work on the scene setup in various viewports and PW will always display the chosen one.
- FumeFX Gravity parameter can have negative value
- Sim Loop Mode option to reset sim at the beginning of each loop.
- Added tooltips to output paths text boxes, so that users can see very long paths.
- Added support for picking groups of nodes from Scene Selection window. Works with:
- objects list
- illumination lights list
- object source objects list
- particle source particle list
- Added support for changing parameters for FumeFX deflector objects for all group members if grouping button is enabled ('G')
New in 3.0
- Effectors that can control almost every parameter on a per-voxel basis. By using Effectors, users can alter important aspects of simulation in creative way. It is easy to adjust vorticity strength based on velocity, smoke density and many other parameters.
- Support for Color channel.
- New Rollouts for Color and Velocity channels.
- Illumination Map have a user-defined output path.
- Support for Multiple Scattering between FumeFX grids.
- Added N-Sim mode. It allows you to simulate nested grids in one go with the ability for fields from one grid to pass into the other grid.
- FumeFX can detect its own motion and pass it to the simulation.
- AfterBurn 4.1 Void Daemon support during Rendering.
- Render Warps - support for Space Warps during rendering. They can be used to deform FumeFX grid and voxels after the simulation is done. This option includes new controls on the Rendering rollout.
- FumeFX Tex3D Texture Map is a new map that can read data from the FumeFX grid. It can be used to produce heat distortion effects by using 3ds max's Raytrace material.
- FumeFX SL is now controlled by the FumeFX.ini file or the preferences dialog. Before it is fully enabled, 3ds max must be closed and re-opened.
- There is now the ability to choose various criteria for grid expansion (eg, Smoke,Temp,Vel)
- Simple Source can now use maps like Gradient Ramp with correct UVW mapping coordinates.
- Users can now create and add sources or effectors directly from the FumeFX interface in the "Object/Sources/SpaceWarps" dialog.
- Turbulence Noise now has a preview window.
- Preview Window now has the option to render all grids in the scene at once using the new Multiview option.
- New GPU mode for the preview window, which supports scene objects and self-shadowing.
- Preview Window supports output to AVI and PNG. FumeFX can now create PNG preview files during simulation. Preview .avi files will now be played with your default player.
- Improved smoke and fire Render Elements.
New in 2.1
- FumeFX now supports fully interactive simulations. This means that user can change almost every parameter during the simulation and see it's influence on the simulation result. It is even possible to change channels that will be saved to the output file, or to move objects and change their parameters.
- Version 2.1 introduces Variable Density solver that uses smoke density and temperature as variables. The result of this addition is increased physical realism, where cold air and dense smoke will have stronger inertia compared to the hot air and lower density smoke.
- New is also the CFL condition parameter that directly controls the number of simulation steps. This is the value that defines the maximum distance allowed for any cell data (velocity, smoke, fire, etc..) to travel in one simulation step. If velocities are bigger then defined by this condition, simulation sub steps will be initiated.
- New Advanced advection scheme that reduces dissipation.
- Default simulation uses all cores during the Wavelet Turbulence calculations, which results in significant speedup.
- finalRender 3.5 Global Iiiumination is now up to 6x faster !
- Preview Window now prints out 3ds max frame number.
- Added ability to stop/continue Retimer.
- Various bug fixes from eariler versions.
New in 2.0
Wavelet Turbulence mode: Allows users to add extra detail to low resolution simulations.
Post processing: Gives users the ability to tighten (shrink) the FumeFX grid as much as possible around smoke and fire to limit memory consumption.
Retiming: Lets users slow down and speed up their simulation caches.
Fuel-specific weight parameter: This parameter allows you to increase weight of the fuel causing it to be directly affected by the gravity.
Temperature can now control where fire creates smoke. When temperature is above a set threshold, smoke will be added to the grid.
New FumeFX_Burn WSM: Allows you to affect your mesh's vertex color based on FumeFX values.
Turbulence and Forces are now visible inside the viewport even if grid is not simulated.
New Void Source: This helper will erase all the fields inside or outside of it (depending on the settings).
The FumeFX Object Source helper now can handle multiple objects
The FumeFX Particle Source helper now uses AfterBurn style controls.
New FumeFX Source: You can now use one FumeFX source as the source for another FumeFX simulation.
Auto Synchronize Paths option now added to Global FumeFX Preferences so that when you change the Delault Output path, any Wavelet Turbulence, Retiming and Preview Window paths will be changed automatically as well.
In the Preferences dialog, you can change Presets folder.
The FumeFX Preview Window will now update if you rotate the active viewport.
You can now change the Preview path from within the FumeFX UI
You now have the option to choose the codec for the FumeFX Preview Window. Note: some codecs will not be suitable and will generate an error. (e.g. - DivX requires that you increase default width of PW)
The Velocity channel added to the list of FusionWorks Render Elements.
Additional MAXScript commands have been added for superior scripted controls of the entire FumeFX 2.0 process.